Going online with your class?
Marketplace Simulations can help.
They create a virtual business world where students run their own businesses and practice the theoretical knowledge you teach.
- Built for the online environment
- Used by more than a million students in 78 countries around the world
- Empowering teachers since 1980
- We have simulations that can run for twenty minutes, a few hours, a few weeks, or an entire semester.
- We have simulations for undergraduates, MBAs, and executives.
- We have simulations for core classes, marketing, entrepreneurship, strategy, and capstone courses.
- Students can play individually at their own pace or on a team against classmates, which is a lot of fun and very motivating.
- Marketplace simulations will engage your students, leaving you to focus on coaching. This is experiential learning at its best!
What is special about Marketplace Simulations that makes them ideal for online classes?
Low level introductory classes
The introductory games do not require instructor involvement.
Students play on their own and at their own pace against computer-generated competitors.
The games help to illustrate important concepts, principles, and ways of thinking.
They can be used as a reference point during lectures and discussions, which makes the class more interesting and relevant.
High level classes
The best way to run games in high level classes is in having teams that compete against each other. This is the secret sauce to serious games – competition against live, dynamic, not-quite predictable classmates.
An entire team can be logged into Marketplace at the same time, working in different areas or viewing the same information, while they debate their choices and possible outcomes.
Video conferencing software like Zoom or video chat makes all the difference in the world. Teams can connect, review information, make decisions, and have meaningful discussions.
In the same way, you can conduct executive briefings, have one-on-one discussions, and even run a Venture Capital Fair.
It’s like everyone is in the same room.
If you are reluctant to organize a live competitive game, many of these same simulations have the play-against-the computer option so that the students can work at their own pace, in teams or alone. And, you can connect via chat or video as you desire.
Normally, students work well outside of class time for team meetings and working on Marketplace.
Class time can be used for lectures and discussion.
If you are worried about participation, you can require students to work during class time where you can monitor their work.
Marketplace shows which students are logged in, how much time they have spent, and what exactly they have done.
And, you can have video meetings with your teams during this time as well.
What drives the learning process for students?
- Inherent Competitiveness – All Marketplace games are competitive; students play against classmates or computer-generated competitors. It is in our genes to be competitive; it gets our adrenaline flowing.
- Ownership – Student run their own business; they have a vested interest in its success. They take responsibility and soon lose sight of the fact that they are playing a game.
- Captivating – They try ideas and see results immediately. They love to see if they have captured the hearts of the customer and outsmarted the competitors. It is a game!
- Realism – It is a life-like, new product scenario that students can put themselves into. The concepts, principles, and ways of thinking that you have been teaching come alive.
- A great way to learn – It is far better than a lecture or a textbook. Students find themselves engaged, challenged, inspired, and transformed. They can feel it happening.
Want to learn more about specific simulations? Click on the links below:
- Introduction to Marketing – Bikes
- Strategic Marketing – Bikes
- Advanced Strategic Marketing – Bikes
- Business Fundamentals – BIkes
- Conscious Capitalism – Bikes
Contact our team today!
Our support team will help you choose the right simulation for your class and give you a show and tell about the features and benefits of Marketplace. Click here to request a tour or you can call us at +1 865 522 1946. We can help you get started immediately.
Here is some additional information to help you evaluate our Marketplace Simulations:
- Learn about the game scenario. Click Here.
- Why Use Marketplace Simulations? Click Here
- Here is what we do to help instructors to be successful. Click Here
- Tools to help instructors. Click Here
- What is the simulation pedagogy? Click Here
- How does Marketplace work with Learning Management Systems? Click Here
Marketplace Accessibility Solutions
All students can easily, equally, and independently engage with our simulations. We have re-engineered our business games to meet the new design standard – WCAG 2.0 AA. For more information, click here.